Sunday, April 12, 2009

Double Your Delight

I'm still at my job site way out in the Gulf of Mexico where I can't take fresh pictures of my flowers. That will change when I get home in a couple of days (hopefully!) As it is, I can only post yet another of my old photos, this time of my rose Double Delight. This was taken last August. Is it any wonder that this rose is always near the top of any list of favorites? It makes a huge, fragrant bloom with a long stem that lasts for several days in a vase. However, it is prone to blackspot and should be sprayed frequently. I found this one grafted on Fortuniana rootstock and couldn't resist buying it despite its propensity for blackspot. In the South, roses grafted on Fortuniana grow much more vigorously and are supposedly more resistant to nematodes. I suppose that's the reason this Double Delight has grown so quickly for me. I certainly have no complaints about the blooms! This looks like a red bowl filled with ice cream... : )


2 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

This has always been one of my favorites but alas, I don't have it any more. I have very few hybrid teas but this is the one I miss the most.

Davy Barr said...

Yeah, hybrid teas need so much care or they just slowly die where I live. You simply have to spray them. A hybrid tea I've wanted for a long while is Veteran's Honor, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger for the above reasons.