Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Daylilies - Hemerocallis for you Latin lovers

I have four different types of daylilies that bloomed for me last year. I really like all of them. Below are pictures of three of them. I have no idea what their names are - if anyone does then please let me know. This bed of daylilies is in a place where it gets half a day of sunlight, at most. They typically bloom best in May down here, but these three kept blooming much later. The white one in particular was a blooming machine.

This "white" daylily is my personal favorite. Every bloom looked just this good and it had lots of them over the course of the summer.

This red bloom was gorgeous in the morning when it first came out. The sun would bleach it quite a bit as the day wore on. These dark colored daylilies should be planted in partial shade.

Have a look at this wine/purple flower. Do colors get deeper than this? This is another that needs protection from the sun to keep its colors looking best.
Daylilies are easy for anyone to grow. They grow about anywhere in the US. I highly recommend them. Were I to do it over again, I wouldn't plant a whole bed of them because they look weedy when they aren't blooming. I think it's best to have clumps of them scattered in amongst other plants.


1 comment:

Jean Campbell said...

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the names of your daylilies, there are thousands of cultivars, but you could look at pictures of Joan Senior and Chicago Apache, two commonly grown that might be your white and your red.

I agree that they need to be scattered with other plants. I do like the smaller cultivars as edging plants.

Last year was not a good year for some of my daylilies. They're already getting a better start this year with all the rain we've had.