Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Earthsong

This rose has one of the most poetic names of all roses - Earthsong.  It's a rose developed by Dr. Griffith Buck, a horticulturist at Iowa State University.  Buck spent many years trying to get roses that are disease resistant, repeat blooming, and could really take cold weather without protection.  The result was a large group of shrub roses that are, naturally, called the Buck roses.  It just so happens that these tough roses also can take the heat and humidity of the South just as easily as they take the cold of the North.  Earthsong is the only Buck rose that I currently have and it performs stellarly.  From spring till frost it produces deep, hot pink roses with a semi-open bloom and a sweet fragrance.  My records show that last year it only got a little blackspot on its leaves in the late fall and lost no leaves from it - with no spraying.  Any people from colder climates that may read this blog should seriously consider this rose.  First I present a couple of single bloom photos:



Here's a shot of the whole bush as it looks now:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful. I love roses ,too.
Mine get powdery mildew. Have to watch them close. Keep bed clean, and clip out bad spots quick.Keep cuters clean, burn cutings.I don't like to spray. Too close to the water. Sue Barnette ,Oklahoma

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful. So many buds.

Jeannie B. said...

This is a beautiful rose. I like what you are saying about the ease of care since I live in Louisiana too. Have you considered posting on how to have/organize a garden journal. I love flowers, plant them and hope they live but I really don't know what I am doing.

Sue said...

Hi,

Love your Buck rose--I have Applejack, maybe we could exchange cuttings.

Sue