Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shasta!



Let me preface this entry by saying that Shasta daisies are among my favorite flowers.  My problem with them has always been that they don't really thrive down here in the Deep South where the temperatures are so hot and the humidity so high.  Another problem is that they tend to get tall and floppy for me, which I hate.  I researched long and hard to find the perfect Shasta, and I finally hit the jackpot with the variety called "Becky."  As you can see in the picture above, the blooms are perfect daisy form with perfect white petals surrounding a butter yellow center. 



Here's another single bloom for you to really see the form. 



This variety gets about 30" tall at the most, the plant has a nice rounded form, and it doesn't flop to the ground.  The flowers are perfectly cuttable and make wonderful bouquets - especially if mixed with some purple coneflowers.  The plant slowly spreads and you can get new babies after a couple of years.  I intend to get some more to spread around my yard in the coming year.  Nothing spreads cheer like a daisy, so go ahead and plant you some.  Give Becky a try, especially if you live in the South.  I can vouch for this variety doing well.

No comments: