Saturday, June 26, 2010

Daylily Collage

Today is a day for daylilies.  They have been blooming at peak for the last several weeks at my house.  I love how they are so florific.  I need to utilize them better as companion plants in my various flower beds.  This first picture is of one of my favorites - Joan Senior.  Such a nice color that mixes well with nearly any flower.  Joan S is a good daylily for full sun since it isn't affected by fading from the sun.  Also, this is one of my longest blooming daylilies.  It just keeps pumping out blooms.



This next picture is Joan Senior with Chicago Apache.  It's one of my favorite pictures of this year.  That velvety red of Chicago Apache stands out so well next to the creamy white of Joan Senior.  Chicago Apache looks best in partial shade and would definitely brighten up a part shade flower bed.



This next picture is of a pink daylily that was given to me.  I have no idea what it's name is, but I like it.  It would be a good candidate to go in a cottage garden.  The pink gets a little softer after the sun has shined on it some.



This last picture is of another unknown variety that I have.  It's a deep wine/burgundy color that looks best in the early morning before the sun has faded it some.  This one is another great candidate for a partial shade garden where the sun won't affect its color as much. 


I have a goal to utilize daylilies more in the coming year as companion plants to my other flowers.  This fall it will be time to divide them and I fully intend to spread them around more.  Right now, most are planted in a bed with other daylilies.

No comments: