Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Autumn Joy in Summer Time



Sunflowers are among the easiest to grow of all flowers. You just plop the seeds into the ground, cover them up, water, and watch them perform. They want full sun, but that's about it. They tolerate drought very well and bloom like crazy. Birds and bees love them. People also love them if you plant the right type! I don't plant them for us to eat, but I love seeing the birds and bees come and dine. I didn't have to plant any sunflowers this year because my forest of them came up voluntarily from plants I had last year. This variety is called Autumn Joy. It is a multi-headed type that comes in many shades of color. I love them!

Here are a few pictures of individual blooms so you can see the variety that they come in.




 


Below is an overall shot of my sunflower forest.


1 comment:

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful sunflowers. I didn't know there were so many. I currently don't have any but I'll be getting me some. Have a good day and stay cool. Too hot to be outdoors right now. Becca