Monday, July 27, 2009

What NOT To Do - Plant without research


Isn't this a beautiful Four O'clock? What could be wrong with this? Here's what's wrong with it -- it has no fragrance whatsoever! The very reason I planted four o'clocks was for the fragrance. I wanted more than just the yellow ones that my mom had, so I simply ordered another variety that came in multiple colors. I falsely assumed that all four o'clocks had fragrance. Wrong! I cannot imagine any reason to plant a non-fragrant variety of this plant unless you don't like the smell. True, they are pretty, but the fragrant ones also are. Do me a favor and plant only fragrant four o'clocks! This variety I have is called "Tea Time."
This same lesson applies to any other plant or seed purchases. If you're looking for something specific, then take the time to do a little research before making an impulse buy. This is especially important when buying expensive shrubs such as roses. All this being said, also leave room to experiment and try something new! Live and learn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Davy...I LOVE the blue morning glory with the purple star. I will be looking for those. Turns out we are zone 7--not 8 like I said. Do you think it's too late to plant moon flowers and morning glories out back? Also, do you remember the name of the purple plant that is paired with Begonias everywhere? And the name of my bush out front that is short and bambooish, but turns pretty red in the fall? And the name of the neighbor's bush that I want? I have forgotten all of them. Becka

Darla said...

Where did my comment go???????????
I don't know how I have missed all of these posts...love this series..I know I have learned a lot of what not to do this year!

Davy Barr said...

Becka, I don't think it's too late to plant moonflowers and morning glories in Virginia. They may not get as big, but will still flower before frost. I can't remember the plant that is paired with begonias everywhere. The purple shrub that is everywhere is called loropetalum. The "bambooish" plant is nandina, also called heavenly bamboo. Sorry, but I can't remember what your neighbor's bush looked like. If you can describe it, then I may be able to help.

Anonymous said...

It's the one I thought was some kind of laurel...but you said something that started with a "d" and sounded kinda like Cholosterum.... :o)

Davy Barr said...

Okay, now I remember. The plant is called ligustrum. Your telling me it started with a "d" threw me off for a second. : )Just remember that ligustrums get huge. They are a nice evergreen plant and have a nice smell when in bloom.