Friday, July 24, 2009

Lucifer Crocosmia


Crocosmias are such cheerful and easy summer bulbs that everyone should try them. The ones I have came from a friend in town who didn't even know what they were. He just told me about some nice red flowers on plants that looked a little like gladiolas. I immediately knew them to be Crososmia, and I'm pretty sure they are the common Lucifer variety. I got some from him and they are thriving in several places around my yard. Crososmias are fast growers and fast multipliers. You have to divide them about every 3 years to keep them blooming. This makes them nice bulbs to share with friends. Hummingbirds really love them and frequently visit the blooms. They start blooming for me in June and keep on for several months. Put them in a sunny or partial shade site in an area with medium moisture and they will thrive for years.

No comments: