Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What NOT To Do - Plant Outside Your Zone


Why is it that we always want what we can't have? Down in the Deep South where I live it's possible to plant far more plants than my friends to the North. I'm far enough south to be able to plant large numbers of tropicals as well as most temperate plants, so I should be more than satisfied. But what do I do instead? I long to plant those lovelies that won't grow in my area! Why won't those fragrant lilacs and oriental lilies (pictured above) grow here? Why can't I get peonies and Japanese maples to thrive for me? It's because those plants don't like it here! They are not meant for zone 8B. My advice is to just quit trying and instead plant those that do well in my climate conditions. This does not mean I will quit trying to stretch the zones - my ignorance is persistant. Nevertheless, I would save myself needless trouble if I heeded my own advice to not plant outside my zone. Live and learn!

No comments: