Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mexican Bush Sage


I got back from 2.5 weeks in the Gulf of Mexico and found this wonderful perennial blooming away in my yard. Mexican Bush Sage is a lovely fall blooming perennial that thrives in our area. It's surprising to me that it is not planted more. Look at how lovely this plant is with its purple spikes of velvety flowers. Its real name is salvia leucantha. It attracts hummingbirds and butterflies in addition to being a nice plant. Takes very little care. Get you some! Please click on the photo to get a larger and better picture.

2 comments:

Nell Jean said...

I got me some, years ago, and spread it all around like Marmalade. Cut down all the Daturas yesterday because I thought it needed to stand alone, backlit in all its glory.

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

Don't you just love that bush? I think one of the reasons I love it is because it doesn't bloom during the summer. I keep anticipating its blooms all summer though.

Btw Davy, thanks for letting me know I could contribute to that butterfly website. I knew about the site (that's how I found out how many were documented in our parish) but didn't know I could contribute to it. So I'm trying to get pictures now to send in.