Thursday, February 25, 2010

More Paperwhite Perfection


Since not much else is blooming, I'll just share yet another picture of my paperwhites that are looking so pleasing these days.  Like many other people in the South this year, most of my paperwhites were severely bitten by the unusual cold weather.  These, however, are growing in a pot that that was in a more protected area and are not as affected.  Paperwhites are actually daffodils.  They fall into the tazetta family of daffodils and are known for being far less cold hardy than most other daffodils.  They can have multiple blooms per stalk.  Though they are less cold hardy, they are more tolerant of warmer winters than many other daffodils which require more winter chilling to thrive.  This is perhaps the only member of the narcissus family that will perform consistently well in the Gulf Coastal regions of the US.

1 comment:

Becca's Dirt said...

I found some paperwhites on my property under a tree last month. I will be moving these babies. Being under the tree is probably why they have survived.