Monday, August 24, 2009

Visiting With Abe and Al

Madame Alfred Carriere ("Al") and Abraham Darby ("Abe") are two of the roses I've had the longest in my yard. They are well established plants that have been performing for some years for me. They both have their share of problems, not the least of which is a propensity for at least some blackspot. However, both still bring me plenty of joy.

This bloom from MAC is such a delicate delight. There are plenty of these on this plant right now and the fragrance is truly wonderful.

This is another shot of a light pink bloom on Al. The blooms get whiter if the sun is shining directly on them. About half the leaves are gone from my MAC plant making it not as attractive as it is at other times of the year, but it is still quite vigorous and recovers nicely.

This is a perfect bud on my Abe Darby bush. Even at this time of year when the plant is 65% defoliated from blackspot the blooms are wonderful. They aren't as large as in the spring, but the fragrance still knocks my socks off and the buds are flawless.

Even with the ugly bush I still love Abraham Darby. He recovers quite nicely from the blackspot plague. The bush looks great in the spring and fall, but ugly during the summer. I think it's worth it anyway.


1 comment:

MissyM said...

I have considered David Austin Roses for a couple of years now but havent tried any. Yours looks nice. I like the shape of the rose.