Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Venerable Cardinal Climber


My cardinal climbers got a late start this year since I didn't plant them until May. They make a beautiful vine covered in little trumpet-shaped red flowers that hummingbirds love. The vine is quite similar to another vine called the Cypress vine, but it's not nearly as invasive. The main reason mine got such a late start is because I was expecting them to come back on their own from last year. Not even one volunteer came back, so I had to replant them. They are a must have in my yard because of their attractiveness to hummingbirds. They pretty much grow like morning glories and should be planted in the same conditions. CC grows in almost any soil as long as you don't let them completely dry out.

2 comments:

MissyM said...

Just stumbled across your site. My husband is from the Lafayette area. I see that you are off shore. He use to do that kind of work too. I look forward to reading more about your garden. We take several trips to La a year and I do love my mother in laws flowers. Seems like in the spring yall are about a month ahead of us with blooms.

Made In The South said...

I will have to try this one next year. I don't have very good luck with climbing vines...