Saturday, March 20, 2010

Grape Hyacinths



This fall, I got a large bag of grape hyacinth (muscarii) bulbs for a bargain basement price.  With nothing to lose, I scooped them up.  It was easy to plant them in the back yard amongst the leaves near some trees.  This is an area that gets plenty of sun till the trees get their leaves in the spring.  I simply took a broom handle and poked holes into the ground and stuffed the small bulbs in them about 3-4 inches deep.  Now they are springing up in a broad patch of these cute little blooms.  They aren't very noticeable from a distance and don't really add much to my landscape, but I love them anyway.  They don't get more than 6" tall and you can mow over them later in the spring when it's time to start that tedious duty.  Just make sure they are in an area that doesn't stay boggy.  They make more a visible impact if you plant a cluster of them together in a smaller patch than I did. 

No comments: