Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Some Things Make Me Want To Cry

Last year at this time, I had a wall of sweetpea's growing on one area of my chainlink fence.  After they finished, I planted some morning glories in the same place.  Because these morning glories were still going strong in late October and early November when sweetpeas should be planted, I didn't pull them out and plant some more sweetpeas in the spot.  Now I'm really regretting not having any sweetpeas as I see the bare area of fence and remember the beauty and fragrance that was there last year.  The following pictures from last year just make me wanna' cry!






This wall of sweetpeas put out enough fragrance to be smelled from 50 yards away if the wind was right.  Not to mention it was a show-stopper that made everyone who passed by ask about.  Don't even try planting these at any other time in Louisiana besides late Oct - early Nov.  They just can't take the heat that arrives in May. 

3 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

You do not have some little volunteers underneath where they were last year? I did not plant sweet peas last fall, either, but little plants came up on their own. Not many, but they're there.

Let's make a note to plant lots of sweet peas this November!

Davy Barr said...

I didn't get any volunteers that I noticed. I'll definitely be planting some next year.

Jeannie B. said...

I too love sweet peas. I thought it was too hot for them in louisiana! Well, this is the first year I have remembered to plant them in the fall. They are beginning to bloom and i am happy!