Thursday, July 8, 2010

Crocosmia Explosion


Crocosmias are hard for me to photograph.  Their airy habit and bright colors make them easy on the eyes but hard on the camera lens.  They are among the easiest of all the summer bulbs to grow in the Southeast and are extremely prolific.  Within two years of planting one specimen, you will have more than enough to share with your friends.


Here are some growing near my small herb bed.  They look nice alongside the achillea (yarrow,) bronze fennel, rue, parsley, and dill. 



Here's a close-up of the blooms.   I don't know what this variety is since it was given to me by a friend.  Nearly all cultivars grow the same and they come in all the fire-colored shades - yellow, orange, and red. 



Such bright colors don't mix with everything, but sure do brighten up where they are.  This is quite a versatile plant that will grow and bloom anywhere from bright sun to half-shade.  They don't do so well in boggy soil, but they tolerate drought superbly.  I have some growing in a dry un-irrigated bed and they are doing just as fine as the ones that get plenty of water.



The tube-shaped blooms are near the top of the food list for ruby-throated hummingbirds.  I've seen them busily buzzing around these blooms nearly every morning.  This is a perfect pass-along plant that will reward you over and over again with little effort.  What more can you ask for?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Davy, I love your crocosmia! I have Lucifer at my house and I love it. I recently discovered garden blogs and yours in one of my favorites (I'm from LA too). So I've been inspired to start my own blog. Here's the link: http://maryslouisianagarden.blogspot.com/