Friday, October 9, 2009

Quit Acting Like a Child!

My Julia Child rose is starting a nice fall flush of bloom. Of course, this nice little rose has been blooming all summer long, so it's not like we haven't seen any of her blooms in a while. With the cooling weather the yellow has been a deeper color, so they do look a little nicer. A great little rose to have that smells wonderful, blooms away, and gets little disease for me. The bush does not get very big either, so it's perfect for a small area or a container.


3 comments:

Jimmy said...

Do you spray your Austins? ( down there in La.)They are very prone to BS here in NC.

Nell Jean said...

Ms. Child is new to my garden this year, I have two. I'm very please with her so far. I think she performs better than the also new to me Sunny Knockout.

Davy Barr said...

Í occasionally spray my roses, but this year pretty much quit after 2 sprayings in early spring. My Austins get blackspot pretty bad too, but I put up with it for the lovely spring and fall show. Curiously, one of my Austins that got almost no blackspot this year was Gertrude Jekyll.

Mrs. Nell, I've looked at the Sunny Knockout and did not like it. Blooms don't last long, they fade to a dirty white too quickly, and NO FRAGRANCE. My only Knockout rose is a Double that blooms like crazy for me. Even with that, I often wish another rose was planted in its prime spot in my yard. None of the Knockouts move me as much as fragrant varieties do.