Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How the Westerland Was Won



Westerland is a climbing rose sometimes classified as a climbing floribunda.  It has flowers that are sunset orange in color.  The flowers contain 20-30 petals and they open up to show the stamens.  I find that bees like this flower because of the easy access to the pollen.



The plant blooms in clusters of these lovely blooms that really stand out from a long distance away.  In the spring, the blooms come in such profusion that the fragrance from them will waft on the breeze for quite a long ways.  The fragrance is a wonderful, spicy-sweet one that is quite delicious.



The canes on this climber are quite stiff making it hard to train well along a fence.  Mine is growing wildly and has a mind of its own.  I would not recommend this as a pillar rose since it wants to grow more out than up.  It is one of the most vigorous of all my roses and is seldom bothered much by the little bit of blackspot that it gets in the summer.



My camera is a cheap one that doesn't really capture the colors of Westerland well.  I just wish that all could see how beautiful this plant is.  Be sure to put it in a place where it has lots of room to sprawl.  I imagine it could also be grown as a large shrub if you keep it pruned back some.

3 comments:

LL said...

Beautiful work - thank you!

Jeannie B. said...

It's beautiful!

meemsnyc said...

That is a great color! I don't have an orange rose, but I'm thinking I should get one!