Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wildflowers in the Yard




This unknown (to me) wildflower is growing in my back yard.  I saw them growing all year and wondered what type of bloom they would produce.  When they finally started blooming, the above is what I saw.  I don't know what they are, but would love some input from anyone who can identify it.  Interestingly enough, every time I look at this flower there are honeybees on or around it.  This is very intriguing to me since I seldom ever see honeybees anymore.  This is in spite of the fact that my yard has flowers all over.  They must travel a long way to get at this flower which must be one of their favorites.  Is it some sort of aster?

Note on 9/19/10: I've since discovered that this plant is a Cichorium intybus, better known as the common chicory.  Yes, this is the plant where you get the coffee additive found in "New Orleans" blends.  The substance added to coffee comes from the large tap root.  Seeing it as such a great honeybee attractor makes me tolerate it in places in my yard.

No comments: