Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Turkish Delight




The cute Turk's Cap is a member of the hibiscus family.  It does equally well in full sun or part shade.  The bright red, partially open blooms resemble a turban, hence the name.  It is a favorite nectar source for hummingbirds and so should be planted in any yard that wants to attract them. 




My bush is fairly new and small.  It's planted in filtered sun and gets plenty of water, which it likes.  This is a plant that does not take drought well.  It can get to almost small tree size in tropical climates, but dies back to the ground every winter in my zone 8b area.  It's hardy through zone 8, but should be protected in colder areas where the ground freezes.  At the end of summer when many of my plants are looking ragged, this lovely shrub is thriving and looking its best.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this same plant in my garden, but it has not bloomed yet this year. It put on a few blooms last summer, but not this summer. I think I have it in too much shade. I'll have to move it soon!

Steve Asbell said...

Mine are head height right now but no blooms yet, and mine are also larger and pendant. I think you have the dwarf variety, which I see more often in nurseries. That would be fortunate, since the normal ones can make big thickets even where they die back!

meemsnyc said...

What a cool plant!