Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Climbing Red Rose

This is a couple of blooms from my Dublin Bay rose. Dublin Bay is a large flowered climber. It doesn't have any smell that I can detect, but does put out these deep red blooms that really last a long time on the plant. I had to have at least one red climbing rose on my fence and took quite a long time deciding on Dublin Bay. From what I have researched, red climbers typically are prone to blackspot and are not very vigorous. This one got about 50% leaf loss this year but seems to be healthy enough to take it. A few sprayings would probably help it a lot. These lovely blooms make me want to keep it.

2 comments:

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

I didn't know about red climbers being more susceptible to black spot. Good info. Come to think of it, I don't often see red climbers so there must be something to it! I picked up a miniature climber this year - Red Cascade. Very hardy and no black spot. Hope you have a growing new year!

Davy Barr said...

I've seen Red Cascades doing remarkably well in Louisiana. It's a great choice.