Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Touch of Goldsturm




Goldsturm rudbeckias are among the easiest of all perennials to grow and they make a statement like none other when in full bloom.  These are commonly called "Black-eyed Susans" though this is a hybrid cultivar that makes much better plants and larger flowers than the wild variety.  The flowers start in July and continue for at least several weeks atop a bushy plant that has a pleasant shape.



The plant is so bulletproof that everyone should grow them.  They look good even when not in bloom, mix well with many other plants, and add great color to a mixed bed or border.  Butterflies are attracted to them as well.  They will slowly spread and can be divided every three years or so.  You can also plant the seeds, though they won't be exactly like the mother plant.  They prefer full, hot sun but will tolerate some shade.  They will grow in any but soggy soil and are virtually pest free.  The stems are also long enough to make this a nice cut flower for indoor bouquets too.  Such a winner of a plant deserves all the accolades it gets.  Highly recommended for everyone!

4 comments:

sherryocala said...

Bulletproof is good, Davey. Looks like an excellent healthy plant, and you can't improve on perennials that give you free plants in a couple of years. Personally, I don't like yellow and black together which makes me odd, so I am resistant to blackeyed Susans, but they're lovely in your garden.

Jeannie B. said...

Wish mine had been as bulletproof as yours. I have had a nasty bunch of Mealy Bugs! They seem to be gone now and my plant should bounce back I hope.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Davy, I just stumbled onto your blog. What a great site you have! I am your newest follower. I hope you will follow back! Blessings to you!

Gardening with Juanita said...

I love the goldstrum mine are blooming now. They are in the cone flower family. These multiply faster than any flower I have ever had. My husband says this is his favorite, just water and leave alone. If I did it would cover the block.