Monday, November 1, 2010

Duking It Out With the Charles



Right now Archduke Charles is looking his best since April.  The blooms are profuse and in every shade of light pink to crimson. 



The blooms are in clusters surrounded by perfect, blue-green leaves that are attractive by themselves.



The bloom shapes on this little China rose are utter perfection.  The fragrance is spicy and peppery, to my nose.



The bush is filling out more and more as it ages and there is not a sign of disease on it.  With the cooler weather, the blooms aren't crisping either.  As with all of my roses this year, no spray has touched this plant.  It has received a couple cups of alfalfa pellets and plenty of water from my irrigation system.  I keep it mulched with hardwood chips.  This is certainly a good candidate for a maintenance free rose in Louisiana as I'm sure it would look nice even without the mulch and extra water. 

1 comment:

Crawfish said...

Wow! These are beautiful roses. I bet these represents good people, good place and good food in Louisiana.

I really admire these roses.